SHAKTI MIGRANT & REFUGEE WOMEN’s SUPPORT GROUP INC. (Melbourne)
Shakti specialises in domestic/family violence crisis intervention embedded in culturally-sanctioned abusive practices such as forced marriage, child/under-aged marriage, dowry-related violence, female genital mutilation and threats of honour killing. We believe in the paramountcy of women’s and children’s rights to safety and justice locally, nationally and internationally.
Shakti Migrant & Refugee Women’s Support Group Melbourne Inc. was incorporated in Victoria on October 27, 2011. Shakti Melbourne has offices in the city and South East Melbourne. The services delivered by a team of volunteers and works to service vulnerable and/or disadvantaged women and children, at risk of homelessness due to domestic violence and isolation.
The services provided by Shakti Migrant & Refugee Women’s Support Group Melbourne Inc., include:
- 9 am to 4 pm multilingual call service for women from Asian, African and Middle Eastern cultural backgrounds in violent and or abusive situations
- Drop-in services for Women of Colour in South-East Melbourne
- Safety planning including temporary safe accommodation (or referral) for victim-survivors of violence and their children
- Case management & advocacy services
- Outreach work with women and girls, including working with schools
- Support group activities including English conversational group sessions, Women’s Day events, The Global Kitchen, and other empowerment workshops (bearing in mind COVID-19 lockdowns)
- Regional and national campaigns and advocacy on issues that migrant and refugee Women of Colour experience in Victoria and Australia
- Awareness training programmes and workshops for Community Advocates and Volunteers
- Providing University-recognised and supervised placements for Social Work students (community development focus in 2021)
- Providing volunteering and internship opportunities for students and recent graduates of: law, communications, public relations, visual communication design, graphic design, marketing, community development, early childhood development, primary or secondary school teaching, adult education, training, counselling, social work, and similar areas relevant to the empowerment of migrant and refugee Women of Colour in Australia
Phone number: 0414 442 584 and 1800 SHAKTI (0800 742 584)