Shakti MIGRaNT & REFUGEE WOMEN’s SUPPORT GROUP INC. (Melbourne)
Shakti specialises in domestic/family violence crisis intervention embedded in culturally-sanctioned abusive practices such as forced marriage, child/under-aged marriage, dowry-related violence, female genital mutilation and threats of honour killing. We believe in the paramountcy of women’s and children’s rights to safety and justice locally, nationally and internationally.
Shakti Migrant & Refugee Women’s Support Group Melbourne Inc. was incorporated in Victoria on October 27, 2011. Shakti Melbourne has offices in the city and South East Melbourne. The services delivered by a team of volunteers and works to service vulnerable and/or disadvantaged women and children, at risk of homelessness due to domestic violence and isolation.
The services provided by Shakti Migrant & Refugee Women’s Support Group Melbourne Inc., include:
- 24-hour multilingual crisis call service for women in violent and or abusive situations
- Drop-in services in South-East Melbourne, and Melbourne City extending to surrounding metropolitan areas
- Regional campaigns and advocacy on immigrant women of colour issues
- Case management & advocacy services
- Safety planning including temporary safe accommodation (or referral) for victims of violence and their children
- Outreach work with women and youth
- Support group activities including English conversational group sessions, Women’s Day events, The Global Kitchen
- Working with schools
- Awareness and training programmes/workshops for Community Advocates/ Volunteers
- Providing training / internship/placement for University students studying Social Work
Phone Number: 1800 SHAKTI (0800 742 584)